What Is Women Build?
Women Build 2023 Tuesday, May 16th – Saturday, July 15th
Women Build is a woman-focused Habitat for Humanity home build event that typically spans an 8 – 12 week period.
Women Build is a call to action for women looking to better their community and spread awareness of the challenges for families who can’t afford decent housing. It empowers women volunteers to participate in an exciting experience constructing a home for a local family. It also provides a hands-on opportunity for women to be proactive in addressing the low-income housing needs in their communities by helping families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. The work is vital, the impact lasting.
Since 1991, women from all walks of life have come together to participate in Women Build events at Habitat for Humanity affiliate locations throughout the U.S. Habitat for Humanity of Hillsborough County officially joined this increasingly popular tradition by hosting its first annual Women Build in the spring of 2017.
How Does Women Build Work?
1. Building the Home.
Between May 13th – July 15th, 2023 teams of women will work together on a designated build site to physically construct a Habitat home for a limited-income family in Hillsborough County.
No experience is necessary. All tools and hard hats are provided. Volunteers work under the supervision of construction professionals and alongside future Habitat homeowners. Each volunteer has the opportunity to schedule one full day of work on the build site.
2. Fundraising for the Home.
- 17 teams of 10 individuals will raise enough money to fund a new home construction project.
- Each team or individual will schedule one full day to work on the build site.
- Individual fundraising requirement to build: $600
- Team fundraising requirement to build: $6,000
3. Fun Raising
Habitat Hillsborough Women Build participants will be invited to attend several fun pre-build events including the Women Build Kickoff, Women Build Empower Celebration and a Special Project Day hosted by Lowe’s Home Improvement Store. At the Kickoff event, volunteers will pick up materials designed to aid them in their fundraising efforts and they will also meet the future homeowner family. The Women Build Empower Celebration is held to honor fundraising achievements and distribute volunteer hardhats, hammers and Women Build commemorative t-shirts. Once the home is built, Women Build participants will be invited to attend the Home Dedication ceremony to see the family receive their house keys.
How Can I Get Involved?
Participate or Become a Sponsor! Click the button below to register individually or as a team and begin your journey! For further questions or corporate sponsorship information, please contact Callie Lupica at firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Dates to Remember
- March 7th, 2023: Campaign Kick-Off and packet pick-up at the Rooftop 220, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- May 3rd, 2023: Fundraising Deadline for Recognition
- May 11th, 2023: Women Build Empower Celebration at Ulele, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- May 16th – July 15th, 2023: Build Schedule
- May 16th, 2023: Women Build First Volunteer Build Day
- TBD: Women Build Home Dedication
- Every dollar raised will go toward the construction of the Women Build home.
- Although teams are fun, you are welcome to join the Women Build as an individual.
- Every woman who reaches their fundraising goal will receive a purple Women Build hardhat, t-shirt, and hammer so they can build in style.
- This is an excellent opportunity to unite your friends, family, and coworkers in support of a family in need in your community.
Women Build Alumnus!
If you are a returning Women Builder you will receive an additional tool to add to your women build tool box!
Meet Our Past Women Build Families
Candace Cowen: “I am trying to build a strong foundation for my kids”
Click the article above to find out more about the Cowen family whose home was built by our 2017 Women Build volunteers!
Tangie Burton: “Owning my own home not only provides my family with stability, but it is also an investment that can be passed on to my kids.”
Click the article above to find out more about the Burton family whose home was built by our 2018 Women Build volunteers!
Sabrina Belgrave: “I want my kids to have stability, a place to grow up, a place to call their own.”
Click the article above to find out more about the Belgrave family whose home was built by our 2019 Women Build volunteers!
Narecia Fowler: “Owning my own home allows my kids to not worry about moving and to be able to safely play outside.”
Click the article above to find out more about the Fowler family whose home was built by our 2020 Women Build teams!
Shemeka Patrick: “Owning a home of our own gives us an opportunity to have a foundation to build upon.”
Click the article above to find out more about the Patrick family whose home was built by our 2020 Women Build teams!
Shalonda Granger: “I am doing things different with my children and refuse to let them live in some of the same conditions I lived in as a child.”
Click the article above to find out more about the Granger family whose home was built by our 2021 Women Build teams!