Homeowner Participation Requirements
- Homeowners must complete a Homeowner Application and disclose all information needed during the application process.
- Homes must be owner-occupied in Hillsborough County, and homeowner must have lived in the home for at least 12 months.
- Homeowners must meet income qualifications.
- Homes must have a Scope of Work that can be accomplished with the resources and volunteers made available through the Home Preservation Program.
- All able-bodied household residents are required to work alongside volunteers during the project to complete the required 6 hours of “sweat equity.” Family members and friends can also provide “sweat equity” if the homeowner is not physically able to do so. The Homeowner may also provide “sweat equity” on our construction sites or at our ReStores. Other forms of “sweat equity” include providing lunch, snacks or drinks for the volunteers on the day of work.
- Homeowners must not sell their home for at least 3 years after the work is completed on their home except for certain circumstances beyond their control. (i.e. illness, etc.)
- Homeowner household income must be between 0-80% AMI (Area Median Income).
- Homeowners must be willing to make monthly donations for the work provided at a percentage of the cost of the Home Preservation Project.
The income limits required to be eligible for the Habitat Home Preservation Program are based on the number of people who live in the home. The limits are 0% to 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) for Hillsborough County. AMI numbers are based on guidelines adjusted each year and defined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). These figures included many forms of income: employment, public assistance, Social Security, disability, child support, etc.
|Household Size||Minimum Gross Monthly Income (0% AMI)||Maximum Gross Monthly Income (80% AMI)|
|8 or more||0||$6,187|
Project Pricing and Payment
Habitat recommends that the amount of repayment cover a portion of the cost of materials purchased by Habitat to complete the Scope of Work. The total payment for materials is to be determined by the homeowner’s percentage of Area Median Income.
For example, if the total household income is 50% of the Area Median Income we request that the homeowner make repayments in the amount of 50% of the cost of materials. (For example, if the materials for the project cost $1,000, then we ask the homeowner to repay $500 on a schedule that is affordable to the homeowner.) The total price for materials can be estimated upfront. Habitat requests that the homeowner make monthly payments after the work is completed. The minimum monthly payment is $5, up to the most the homeowner can afford. These payments will go to helping other families in Hillsborough County, Florida.
If you are interested in applying for Home Preservation, please contact us at 813-239-2242 extension 106.